48 hours to pray together for students around the globe
World Student Day is an annual day that unites our global movement to celebrate all that God is doing through IFES, and to pray for one another and the needs and opportunities for the coming year.
Our prayer theme for this year is about the gospel breaking down barriers and our unity in Jesus.
Tell people around the world how they can pray for your group and university.
Ideas to help you plan a global prayer meeting.
“His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross…”
Ephesians 2:15-16, NIV
Our prayer theme for 2019: One new humanity
Our universities, our societies, our nations are increasingly divided. Divided by nationality, economics, caste, education, ethnicity and political opinion. Fear of others builds walls, excludes outsiders and restricts dialogue in our universities.
But Christian students around the world are living for a different story. In Revelation 7, we see a vision of God’s kingdom that includes people from every nation, tribe, people and language worshipping Jesus together. Our calling today is to live as inclusive communities dedicated to sharing the gospel with all people and to see the gospel make an impact in the dialogues of the university.
This October pray with us for the gospel to break down barriers in universities and for unity among students witnessing to Jesus. And pray with us that many more students would be attracted to the diverse gospel communities they see, come to trust in Jesus and become part of his one new humanity.
How to plan a global prayer meeting
Connect around the world
World Student Day is a unique opportunity to connect with a student group in another part of the world and pray for each other. Here are some ways to find another group to pray with:
- Ask international students if they can connect you with a student group in their home country, or get in touch with students you know who have gone to study abroad.
- Pick a country and connect with the IFES national movement to find out more about student life there.
- Go to the event page on Facebook and connect with another student group there.
Invite your Christian friends, your student group or your local church to join you. Book a room and set a time to come together.
- Prayer walks: pray as you walk around your campus buildings or accommodation blocks.
- Pray with music: put on some worship music and praise the God of the nations. If you’re praying for another IFES movement, listen to a song in their language.
- Pray with resources: print off prayer cards, photos or a map of the world to fuel and inform your prayers.
- Pray while fasting: give up your meals and stand in solidarity with Christians who suffer from hunger and need.