Population: 109,365 (2011)
Official language: English
Major religion: Christianity
IFES movement: Inter-School and Colleges Christian Fellowship (ISCCF)
St. Vincent and the Grenadines is a scenic multi-island state. Although the country is peaceful, very little of the natural resources has been utilised to boost the country’s economy. It is predominantly a ‘Christian’ state where there is freedom of religious practice. However, students have a lot of problems – broken families, low moral values, the carnival culture and easy availability of marijuana.
- 7 tertiary institutions, IFES groups in 4 institutions
- 1 full-time missionary staff family; about 80 volunteers, mostly Christian teachers
- schools ministry at 18 high schools and some primary schools
- largest student group at a secondary school in Kingstown (about 60 students)
- smallest group at SVG Technical College (about 12 students)
ISCCF is a re-pioneering movement. Those involved thank God for the coming to St Vincent and the Grenadines of the Sahayam family, who have revived or established groups in primary, secondary and tertiary institutions. They are also grateful for the volunteers who are working to see the movement grow and students discipled. The Easter camp this year provided student leaders with a good foundation.
There is a need for more people to financially invest in student ministry. ISCCF would also like to see a strong national leadership team and more role-model leaders to challenge and encourage students.
View from the inside
David Peniston, a board member, says, ‘For a number of years the movement did not have any form of national coordination. However, many of our schools still had an active Christian fellowship. This is an inspiration. The number of adults who testify to the lasting impact that ISCCF has on them also inspires me. God has placed the alumni of the movement in places of great influence in the government and Christian leadership.’
Among many verses that have encouraged David is Isaiah 58:12: ‘Your people will rebuild the ancient ruins and will raise up the age-old foundations; you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls, Restorer of Streets with Dwellings’
- for students to be godly examples to those around them;
- for students to take more initiative in their individual groups;
- for more partnerships and supporters to share the vision of the ministry.