Population: 36.5 million (2012)
Official language: Arabic
Major religion: Islam
IFES movement: Rassemblement des Étudiants Chrétiens (REC)
Algeria is constitutionally a Muslim country. According to a recent survey, there are an estimated 50,000 Christians in Algeria, which is less than 0.3% of the total population. Muslims make up more than 99% of the population.
- 87 further and higher educational institutions
- REC is present in 10 universities
- a group of graduate supporters has been formed
- largest group in Tizi Ouzou (150 students), smallest in Batna (3 students)
Until recently, the REC did not have legal status and they are aware that God protected them during this period. Now they hope to establish the movement in all 48 provinces of the country. The strength of the movement is the enthusiasm of the students and their shared vision for the future.
View from the inside
A worker in Algeria says, ‘Christian intellectuals are the future of the country. If they are well trained in the word of God, they will make a difference in society’.
He holds dear these words from 2 Timothy 4:2: ‘Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage - with great patience and careful instruction’.
- for Christian students to persevere in the face of adversity, holding on to God and his word;
- for wisdom in sharing the love of Christ with those around them;
- for God’s protection of the movement.