Our vision is to see students built into communities of disciples, transformed by the gospel and impacting the university, the church and society for the glory of Christ.
IFES shapes lives and develops student leaders all around the world. We’re passionate about engaging with the whole university, sharing the gospel and supporting locally-led student movements in over 160 different countries.
Examples of IFES at work:
- Students from UKH Czech Republic organise annual mission weeks in Prague, after a visit to the IFES movement in the UK. Their mission is supported by FEUER – an initiative to train a new generation of evangelists in Europe. Read more in Prayerline
- IFES is working to pioneer student ministry in five countries in the Middle East and North Africa and training students in Belarus to start student groups on new campuses across the country.
- Leaders from student movements across Africa gather for training institutes. Through these, IFES develops leaders working in a variety of difficult contexts and supports the cross-pollination of ideas in the region. Read more in Prayerline
- In 15 countries, the Indigenous Support Development program is helping national movements develop local support and ownership of their ministry. In the last year, two national movements in Francophone Africa have each taken on six new staff, in countries which normally struggle with raising support. Find out more about the Indigenous Support Development program
Today's students are tomorrow's world leaders. Yet universities, although they are centres of thought, leadership and innovation, on the whole fail to engage with foundational Christian truths. As a result, students are being sent into the world unprepared to be the leaders of integrity that the world so desperately needs.
Our primary calling is to engage the university, and to support students at this crucial time when they are exposed to prevailing philosophies and theories to which they are able to bring a Christian perspective.
Most of our programs are aimed at supporting student ministry in the following areas:
- Equipping students for evangelism
- Leadership development
- Pioneering: new countries and new campuses
- Strengthening and supporting national student movements
In 1947, Christian student movements from 10 countries in East Asia, Europe, North America, and the South Pacific united to form IFES. They committed to working together to form a movement of students sharing and living out the good news of Jesus Christ in every country of the world. Today, in more than 160 countries, that same vision remains at the heart of IFES.
The Living Stones vision to 2020
The Living Stones vision was crafted through a process which was formally started in 2007 during IFES World Assembly, when Daniel Bourdanné, IFES General Secretary, was appointed. Delegates from all IFES movements participated in a day of vision-casting and in the course of a year all national movements were invited to give feedback.
Three ways to get involved:
Find the IFES movement in your country.
Join our annual day of prayer, sign up for weekly prayer news, and find more resources to help you pray.
Support our global programs and work in different regions of the world.